Saturday, July 18, 2015

Review | GREY by EL James

Grey by EL James
Adult Romance published June 18, 2015
Vintage
Author's website  |  Goodreads  |  Buy the Book on Amazon

Synopsis from Goodreads:

See the world of Fifty Shades of Grey anew through the eyes of Christian Grey.

In Christian's own words, and through his thoughts, reflections, and dreams, E L James offers a fresh perspective on the love story that has enthralled millions of readers around the world.


Christian Grey exercises control in all things; his world is neat, disciplined, and utterly empty—until the day that Anastasia Steele falls into his office, in a tangle of shapely limbs and tumbling brown hair. He tries to forget her, but instead is swept up in a storm of emotion he cannot comprehend and cannot resist. Unlike any woman he has known before, shy, unworldly Ana seems to see right through him—past the business prodigy and the penthouse lifestyle to Christian’s cold, wounded heart.  

Will being with Ana dispel the horrors of his childhood that haunt Christian every night? Or will his dark sexual desires, his compulsion to control, and the self-loathing that fills his soul drive this girl away and destroy the fragile hope she offers him?

This book is intended for mature audiences.
My Thoughts...
This is just going to be a really quick review because I don't have a whole lot to say about this book, but I did want to talk about it a little.  It's probably been 4 years since I read the Fifty Shades series and I will admit that I did enjoy the series.  It was something new at the time, and I have been known to read and enjoy a lot of books that others don't.  I enjoy a story and the characters sometimes with little regard to the actual writing style sometimes.  This was one of those times.  For me, it didn't hurt that this series started out as Twilight Fan Fiction!


So, I was intrigued to learn more about Christian and what was going on in his mind...until I read this book.  Sometimes it's best to just leave a series as is.  If you wrote a series from one characters POV then you probably thought that their story was the one that needed telling.  In some cases I think it's interesting to hear the other side of the story.  Like Edward's in what would have been Midnight Sun (I think that was the title).  In this case, I liked the Christian that Ana showed us much more than the Christian we get to know in this book.  If you were one of those that thought that Ana's inner "goddess" was annoying you probably won't like Christians inner voice much more.  He's cocky, arrogant and just generally not a very nice person.  

The story, overall, is much the same as the first book.  I felt like it was MUCH longer book though, and we do get glimpses into Christian's nightmares.  For me though, this wasn't even really necessary since we already know the horrors that he endured when he was a child.  In my opinion, this book is one that I wouldn't necessarily recommend unless you just really want more of the series.  I like Christian much less after getting to know him better.  The Christian we see through Ana's eyes is a much more likable man.

XOXO, Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate Posts Only