Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Romance Review "Edge of Disaster" by A.M. Hargrove

Title:  Edge of Disaster
Author:  A.M. Hargrove
Publisher:  Self Published
Publication Date:  December 20, 2012
Genre:  Contemporary Romance
Format:  Kindle 722 KB

Buy this book on Amazon:  Kindle Edition
Author's Website:   
 http://www.amhargrove.com/
Author's Goodreads Profile:  A.M. Hargrove

Synopsis from Goodreads: 
Alexia Hammond, broken and destroyed by a tragedy she can’t seem to recover from, is on a downward spiral toward destruction. A life of partying, alcohol, drugs and men has brought her near the edge of disaster. That is until one night while at work as a waitress in an upscale restaurant, she falls under the spell of one of her customers, Pearce Middleton. Once she gazes into his smoky gray eyes, her life takes on new meaning. But can she put her past behind her and allow herself to fall for the exciting and gorgeous Pearce, or will her lewd behavior come back to haunt her and ruin her chances of happiness forever?

My Thoughts...

I read this book in one sitting, just 3 hours!  Once I started I didn't want to put it down.  I have read several of Anne's books and I really think this is her best work.  The characters were more real and relate-able, for me anyway.  It could be because this is a contemporary setting and the characters are human!

Alexia is a young woman who has been through a traumatic experience and she is acting out by drinking, doing drugs and sleeping around.  She is trying to forget, but all she is doing is hurting herself.  During the week she is a waitress and on the weekends she works as an assistant for an elderly society lady who allows her to live in the carriage house in exchange for her services.  Lisbeth is a very charming lady and I loved her character.  Other than Lex's friend Terri, she is the only one who really looks out for her.

Just a couple of days after a particularly bad "date" Alexia is working and takes on a big party where she meets Pearce. She has sworn off men while she attempts to get her act together, but she takes one look at his smoky eyes and she can't stop thinking about him.  She knows he's too good for her and she's decided that she doesn't want her past or present to sully him in any way, so she vows to stay away from him.  I think she's crazy because Pearce is smoking HOT!  Horrifying circumstances bring them together again and she is forced to face the fact that she does want to be more than friends. 

As usual in a story like this it's a little crazy fast with the love at first sight stuff, but I really think that's what makes these stories so good.  It's not all love and romance right from the start though, they have hurdles to jump and Pearce and Alexia seem to have more than most couples.  Oh, did I mention that Pearce is a surgeon and he's super hot?!

Most of the story is told from Alexia's point of view, but there are a few spots that we get Pearce's point of view and I love that.  I really prefer a 1st person POV when reading romance.  I loved the supporting characters, especially Lisbeth and Terri.  The pacing is well done and there was no drag in the story, at least not for me as you can see from how long it took me to read it!

This story is sexy, emotional and one where you can't help but feel for the characters and what they are going through.  I had to wipe tears away several time throughout the course of the story. There is some profanity, but it's not vulgar and there are some pretty steamy love scenes.  I highly recommend that you pick this one up if you want a quick, sexy read that actually has a nice story behind it....and Pearce is HOT!

*Disclaimer - I received a copy of this book courtesy of the author, but that didn't color my judgement of the content at all.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks so much Shelly for featuring Edge of Disaster on your wonderful blog. I am beyond super thrilled that you loved the book so much *doing the snoopy dance* I hope you have an awesome New Year! Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought the kindle version! Can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete

nRelate Posts Only