Thursday, June 28, 2012

{Review} "A Touch of Crimson" by Sylvia Day

Title:  A Touch of Crimson (Renegade Angels #1)
Author:  Sylvia Day
Publisher:  Signet
Publication Date:  October 4, 2011
Genre:  Paranormal Romance / Angels, Vampires, Lycans
Format:  Kindle 430 KB  |  Paperback 368 pages

Buy this book on Amazon:  Kindle Edition  |  Paperback
Author's Website:   http://www.sylviaday.com/ 
Author's Goodreads Profile:  Sylvia Day

Synopsis from Goodreads:

Adrian Mitchell is a powerful angel leading an elite Special Ops unit of Seraphim.  His task is to punish the Fallen-angels who have become vampires-and command a restless pack of indentured lycans.  But Adrian has suffered his own punishment for becoming involved with mortals- losing the woman he loves again and again. Now, after nearly two hundred years, he has found her-Shadoe-her soul once more inhabiting a new body, with no memory of him. And this time, he won't let her go. 
Diving In...

I have to start by saying that I really enjoyed this book!  I am totally a "judge a book by it's cover girl" and I was immediately taken with crimson tipped wings in this cover image the minute it popped up in my recommended Amazon list.  When I got access to the galley for the 2nd book in the series on NetGalley, I knew I was going to have to pick this one up as well.

I have read a couple different Angel series, starting with a couple of YA series a couple years ago, but this is my favorite of the adult series that I have read.  I love the world that Sylvia built for this series.  I didn't feel totally overwhelmed by all the specifics and the details like I do in the first book of some series.  I think that she told me just enough for this specific part of the story and I know that I will learn what I need to in the next part of the series.  I also really really like this take on the Fallen Angel story.  

The gist is this, the  Sentinels  were sent to police the Watchers (also angels who were sent to watch over mankind).  Many of the Watchers fell by interacting too much with the humans they were sent to watch over.  They interfered with humans, shared their knowledge and became intimate with them.  The Sentinels were sent to strip them of their wings.  These Fallen became Vampires.  They are able to create more vampires. The result of their pro-creation (before becoming vampires) with humans are The Nephilim.  The Lycans were also created from the Fallen who chose to essentially be indentured to the service of the Sentinels.  They were spared the vampirism in exchange for their service, but they were transfused with demon blood which gave them the ability to shift to animal form.  They can also pro-create.  The  Sentinels, however, can not so they have a fixed number that is much, much smaller than either other group.  The Sentinels, with the help of the Lycan packs, now police the vampires who go rogue and try to keep them under control diminishing their numbers when necessary.  The Sentinels also are forbidden to have physical relationships with any mortal creature.  With the exception of only a few, they don't experience any real human emotion at all.  

Adrian is one of those exceptions  He also happens to be the highest ranking Seraphim on earth.  Enter Lindsay... They meet and are immediately drawn to each other.  It's a fast ride as they discover amazing things about each other within the first couple hours of meeting.  I love that you can feel the connection between them immediately and it's intense.  

Lindsay is a tough cookie and she is used to taking care of herself so she is totally taken aback by this need of Adrian's to protect her.  She certainly doesn't know what he is protecting her from and he isn't about to spill that secret one second before it's absolutely necessary.

Adrian is caught in this cycle of losing the woman he loves over and over as her soul is reincarnated.  They never have enough time together and he is desperate to end the cycle once and for all even if that means losing her forever.  This time it's different though, he knows Shadoe is there, but Lindsay's soul has more control.  Not only that, but her physical body is "more" than just human.  She senses things and has abilities that have never manifested in any other reincarnation.  As they face the difficulties ahead they both have choices to make that can alter the fate of their entire world. 

There are some really great supporting characters in this book.  I know that Elijah's book is next and I really loved that he played such a big part in this story.  It was nice to get to know him in this story and see how close he became to Lindsay.  It gives me hope that we will get to see more of she and Adrian in this next book.

I would definitely read this book again and I recommend it for anyone who likes Paranormal Romance especially if you like Angel stories.  

Content Warning:
*some language, not overly vulgar
*explicit love scenes
*blood, killing, that kind of thing (hey, it has vampires!)

Rating 8/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate Posts Only