Tuesday, June 12, 2012

{Review} "Kiss The Dead" by Laurell K. Hamilton

Title:  Kiss The Dead (Anita Blake #21)
Author:  Laurell K. Hamilton
Publisher:  Berkeley
Publication Date:  June 5, 2012
Genre:  Paranormal / Romance / Vampires / Shifters
Format:  Kindle 469 KB, Hardback 367 pages

Buy this book on Amazon: Hardback |  Kindle Edition 
Author's Website:    http://www.laurellkhamilton.org/


Synopsis from Goodreads

When a fifteen-year-old girl is abducted by vampires, it’s up to U.S. Marshal Anita Blake to find her. And when she does, she’s faced with something she’s never seen before: a terrifyingly ordinary group of people—kids, grandparents, soccer moms—all recently turned and willing to die to avoid serving a master. And where there’s one martyr, there will be more…

But even vampires have monsters that they’re afraid of. And Anita is one of them…
Diving In...


I am going to preface this whole review by stating that when this series started I loved it.  I started reading them a couple years ago, I think at that point she was probably about 15 books in.  I am at the same point now with Anita as I was with Sookie when I read the last book in that series.  It's about time to start thinking about writing a new series.  Or in this case, finish the Merry Gentry series!

This book, for me, was just an extension of the same old stuff that has been in the last couple books.  I remember thinking this of the last one after I read it.  There wasn't much actual story going on, there was a little RPIT story line.  It was just enough to give the book a synopsis and wrap it all up in the normal Anita stuff.  I miss when the books were actually classified as Horror instead of bordering on Erotica.  I miss the books like Blue Moon, this is where the series turned from being just Horror and she had the just the right balance of love scenes in with an actual good story line.

Another problem I have had with this series from the beginning is the description and I touched on this a little in my short review of Beauty on Goodreads.  I realize that this series was started in the early 90's, but there is a point when you take a series this far that you just have to modernize a little.  I also realize that they are vampires and that they don't change styles that much, but it's super weird to me that the vampires wear leather, thigh high boots and frilly shirts.  I am a woman who likes long hair on some men, but the long hair on the men in this series is bordering on bizarre!  And I am going to say thing again here, we have been reading these books for a long time now.  We know what these people look like, we don't need a 3 page, very detailed description of Nathaniel's hair, Asher's scars, Nikki's skater cut that covers his missing eye, how short Micah is, Jean Claude's curls or Claudia's height in every single book.  We know that Micah is short and that Nikki is tall and muscular...  I am also tired of the pages of weapon description and how she straps on all her gear and how she doesn't like to have to look for a gun if she needs one, we know all this already.

I also have to talk about the love scenes.  They aren't sexy for me anymore...at all.  She tipped the scale between sexy and over the top, for me anyway, about 6 books ago.  I do not enjoy reading the love scenes anymore.  It may just be my personal opinion, but they aren't the least bit erotic or sensual and they haven't been for a long time.  Too much of a "good thing" is just too much and not good anymore.  I don't want to go into any more detail about them than this.

My point is this, if you took out all the things we already know and the not so sexy love scenes, it would cut the story down to what I think would be a decent story.  It would have to be built upon to make it more than a short story, but then it would be a great book.  There were so many good characters left out of this book and a good new one (Brice) introduced that was just kinda dropped part way through.  It's like Asher throws a little fit and at that point the story turns into the Anita / too many men drama and then there is only a little time to wrap up the good part of the story.  I felt that the ending was rushed and seemed choppy since the last few chapters were really short.  The end chapter was a wrap up chapter, which I don't like.  I would rather have a cliff hanger, I think.  I still wasn't even clear what they ended up doing with Asher!

So, for me, this wasn't a read again book.  It's more of a "need to read because I have read 20 and I can't stop now" book!  I would recommend this for someone who truly enjoys this series.  Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion and I know that there are lots of readers out there who loved this book.  I just happen to not like the direction that she has taken the series.

As far as content, there is profanity and explicit love scenes.

Rating 5/10 (I would have rated it higher if there had been less man drama and more RPIT action)

3 comments:

  1. The only thing positive I can say about the sex scenes is that there seems to be less of them and only one in this book involved more than 2 people. (Three people which must be a record low for her for the past few books.)

    Ugh...No Edward in this book. I think he's my favorite character. Even if she's starting to wimp him out a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost put that about Edward in the review! He's my favorite character too.

      Delete
  2. Love this review! I don't really mind the crazy sex...it doesn't offend me or bother me. I just want it to be WELL WRITTEN! If there is a sex scene, I'd rather feel slightly uncomfortable than falling asleep bored! And honestly? I think LKH needs to hire someone to help her keep track of Anita's lovers. Scratch that - I think Anita need s to hire someone to keep track of her lovers. And I think it would be beneficial for LKH to put a page of lovers connected to Anita and their roles for her on one of the opening pages to help readers remember who the hell these obsolete fun-buddies are. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete

nRelate Posts Only