Friday, June 8, 2012

{Review} "Forever" by Lauren Burd

Title:  Forever
Author:  Lauren Burd
Publisher:  self-published
Publication Date:  December 9, 2011
Genre:  Young Adult Paranormal / Romance
Format:  Kindle 670 KB, Paperback 444 pages

Buy this book on Amazon: Paperback  Kindle Edition 
Author's Website:    http://laurensaga.blogspot.com/


Synopsis from Amazon

“What are we playing for?” An evil grin spread over his face. “I am so glad you asked. We’re playing for the chance to choose.” “Choose what?” “Where my next shot goes.”  
 * * *
 Memories fade, betrayals abound, and death looms. Alina believed becoming an Immortal would protect those she loved, but how can she protect them when they’re already caught in the trap?
Diving in...
This is the 2nd book of a series by Independent Author Lauren Burd. I re-read the first book, Immortal, before I read this one.  I didn't feel the need to do a full review of the first book, but I did do a small review on Goodreads.  If you are interested in that then you can read it here.

I am not really going to do a long review for this one either, but since it is a fairly new book I did want to post something here.  I am not going to do any spoilers either so it will be pretty short!  This book was much better than the last one as far as editing goes.  I saw a couple of typos, things like that, but overall it was much smoother.

As far as the story goes, this one pretty much takes up right where the first one left off.  I think that the story line is a little jerky and seems to be all over the place.  There are twists and turns, but they don't flow quite as smoothly as they should.  Alina's character, well all the characters really, are all over the place throughout the whole story.  Are they good?  Are they bad?  I still don't know where everyone stands.  I know that Alina loves Samuel, but she can turn on a dime and be kissing Duncan.  I don't like that at all.  I don't mind a little tension, but I don't like that she is so flaky.  I don't think she really knows what she wants and she is way too quick to trust all of them.

This one just ends in the middle of the story.  It may seem like the logical place to stop, but it's really quite abrupt and I didn't care for that at all.

I would recommend this for those who read the first book.  It really is much better than the first one and it's still a little too similar to Twilight for my taste, but the idea is a good one.  I just wish she had worked harder to make it a little more original.  I would have rated it much higher in that case.

This is a YA story, there isn't much "warning" needed with this one.  There is no description of anything beyond kissing.  Everything else is done in "cut to the next scene" fashion.

Rating 5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate Posts Only