Thursday, May 31, 2012

{Review} "Bared to You" by Sylvia Day

Title:  Bared to You (Crossfire #1)
Author:  Sylvia Day
Publisher:  Berkley 
Publication Date:  May 24, 2012
Genre:  Contemporary Romance
Format:  Kindle, 656 KB

Buy this book on Amazon:  Paperback  Kindle Edition
Author's Website:  http://www.sylviaday.com/


Synopsis from Goodreads    
Gideon Cross came into my life like lightning in the darkness—beautiful and brilliant, jagged and white-hot. I was drawn to him as I'd never been to anything or anyone in my life. I craved his touch like a drug, even knowing it would weaken me. I was flawed and damaged, and he opened those cracks in me so easily...

Gideon knew. He had demons of his own. And we would become the mirrors that reflected each other's most private wounds... and desires.

The bonds of his love transformed me, even as I prayed that the torment of our pasts didn't tear us apart...
Diving in...
I really enjoyed this book.  I kind of stumbled upon this one when I was reading something on Goodreads about Fifty Shades.  I hate to keep mentioning this series, but it's so hot right now and everyone is clambering to find something that compares to it.  Here is what I think...

I enjoyed this story more, to be honest.  I think that Sylvia Day is a better writer for one thing.  I will agree with some readers that it is maybe a little too similar to Fifty Shades, but for me it's only like that in the very beginning.  It's mostly in the way that they meet, but after that, I really thinks it takes a turn into it's own story and, frankly it's much better. 

Gideon is drop dead gorgeous!  For me, he is much sexier than Christian.  He is definitely more damaged and that's somewhat appealing.  He comes off as a jerk in the beginning, but once you get to know him he is just incredible.  Since this is the beginning of a series, we don't find out all of his secrets, but there is no doubt that they are deep and dark.

Eva is a strong, independent woman.  She is on her own and she really doesn't need or want for anyone to take care of her.  She doesn't want to want Gideon, but she can only resist him for so long.  I mean, come on, he's too irresistible!  

I don't like that she runs the minute there is any conflict.  She needs to learn to trust him more, but I can understand why she doesn't.  She has her own demons, but she comes clean with him pretty early on.  She just needs to give him time to come to a point where he can share with her.

There is no doubt that they love each other and I can't wait to see where the next book takes them!

There is a fair amount of profanity in this one.  Eva's best friend/room mate is bi-sexual so there is some same sex talk.  There are some very steamy love scenes between Gideon and Eva.  

I will definitely read this one again and I highly recommend it.  Especially if you liked the Fifty Shades series, just keep an open mind and try not to compare them.  I mean, really, this isn't a new concept!  That series just kind of brought it all out in the open.

Rating 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate Posts Only