Friday, May 24, 2013

Paranormal Romance MINI Review "Dead Ever After" by Charlaine Harris

Title:  Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse #13)
Author: Charlaine Harris
Genre:  Paranormal Romance

Buy it on Amazon

Synopsis from Goodreads:
There are secrets in the town of Bon Temps, ones that threaten those closest to Sookie—and could destroy her heart...

Sookie Stackhouse finds it easy to turn down the request of former barmaid Arlene when she wants her job back at Merlotte’s. After all, Arlene tried to have Sookie killed. But her relationship with Eric Northman is not so clearcut. He and his vampires are keeping their distance…and a cold silence. And when Sookie learns the reason why, she is devastated.

Then a shocking murder rocks Bon Temps, and Sookie is arrested for the crime.

But the evidence against Sookie is weak, and she makes bail. Investigating the killing, she’ll learn that what passes for truth in Bon Temps is only a convenient lie. What passes for justice is more spilled blood. And what passes for love is never enough...
My Thoughts...
** This review does contain spoilers!**
I decided to do this one as a mini review because, honestly, I don't want to waste much time on this book.  I have spent years on this series now and I feel really let down by how this ended!  I just going to bullet point my thoughts and then be done with it once and for all.
  • I hated the switching POV's....why do this now?  Up to this point we have gotten the whole story from Sookie's POV.  The sections of "mysterious" 3rd person weren't fooling anyone, we all knew who the mystery men were.
  • Eric is literally in 3 scenes and his part is so insignificant she may as well have just left him out completely.  She did her best to make the readers hate him so that we wouldn't really care when she wrote him out of Sookie's life.
  • There was not a huge story in this book.  It's more just plot junk that wraps up the series and tells us what happened with all those long lost characters we wanted to forget about....like Arlene and Steve Newlin.
  • Quinn was back...I did like that!
  • I have always liked Sam....don't get me wrong.  That said, I do NOT like that Sookie ended up with him at the end.  It's a little too much like Sookie needed to be with someone and she hadn't hooked up with Sam yet so why not?!  I knew this was coming though, it was the only way for Charlaine Harris to end the series and not keep Sookie and Eric together.  It was clear from the way the last couple books went that she wasn't going to go that route.
  • Just when we thought it was the end we find out that Ms. Harris has decided to release yet another book After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse.  WHAT THE FRICK?!! I don't think I can do it...I am not giving her MORE money to tell me something that she SHOULD have put in an epilogue chapter!
So....as you can see, I am NOT a fan of how this ended!  I do NOT recommend shelling out $15 for any version of the book.  Wait until it's released in mass market paperback, or get it from the library!

1 comment:

nRelate Posts Only