Friday, May 17, 2013

Adult Romantic Suspense Review "If I Were You" by Lisa Renee Jones

Title:  If I Were You
Author: Lisa Renee Jones

Publisher:  Gallery Books
Publication Date:  September 12, 2012
Genre:  Adult Fiction / Romantic Suspense
Format:  Kindle 896 KB  |  Paperback 384 pages
Buy this book on Amazon:  Kindle Edition  |  Paperback

Author's Website:  http://www.lisareneejones.com/ 
Author's Goodreads Profile:  Lisa Renee Jones

Synopsis from Goodreads:
When Sara McMillan finds a stack of journals in a storage unit, she’s shocked and enthralled by the erotic life the writer led. Unable to stop reading, she vicariously lives out dark fantasies through Rebecca, the writer—until the terrifying final entry.

Certain something sinister has happened, Sara sets out to discover the facts, immersing herself in Rebecca’s life. Soon she’s working at the art gallery Rebecca worked at and meeting Rebecca’s friends. Finding herself drawn to two dangerously sexy men, the manager of the gallery and a famed artist, Sara realizes she’s going down the same path Rebecca took. But with the promise of her dark needs being met by a man with confident good looks and a desire for control, she’s not sure anything else matters. Just the burn for more.
My Thoughts...
This was probably one of the better books I have read this year, in fact this rates right up there with the Crossfire books for me!  You know how much I love Gideon Cross!  I loved the suspense and I really liked that at some point I got so caught up in Sara and Chris that I forgot all about Rebecca.  Then suddenly I am at the end and I get hit with a cliffhanger!  Which kinda stunk, but it's not too bad since the next book will be out in just a couple of weeks.

Since this is the first book of a trilogy, I kind of feel like we are just getting to the good stuff.  This first book is really a set up book.  We get a nice look at all the characters, just enough to suck us in so are foaming at the mouth for the rest of the story!  I feel like I know Sara pretty well.  She is a high school English teacher because she needs to pay the bills, but her dream is to work in the art world.  The only thing we really don't know about her yet is what is going on with her father.  That's her big secret.  Sara  is determined  to find out what happened to Rebecca, but for the time being she is enjoying her new found romance and summer dream job.

I don't know what I can say about Chris other than that I think he is pretty amazing!  He's a bit of a bod boy, which I love, and he's talented, famous, he can cook and he's super hot!! He has some deep dark secret that he's afraid to reveal because he's afraid that Sara will run fast and far when she hears it.  Unlike the other women he's had in his life he actually wants to keep Sara.

Then we have Mark.  I'm not sure what I think about him quite yet.  I think we have WAY more to learn about him. He has pretty much handed Sara her dream job on a silver platter, but she soon learns that there are quite a few strings attached there.  He's into some pretty dark stuff and Chris is more than happy to share some of those secrets with Sara.  Mark and Chris have a past that both are reluctant to share the details with Sara, but it's clear that they are both connected to Rebecca in some way.  

SO many questions and not many answers in this installment.  How are Mark and Chris really connected other than the obvious?  Which one is in Rebecca's journals?  Or was it both men?  Who is the man at the storage locker?  How is he connected to Rebecca?  Is Rebecca still alive?  I have no doubt that at least some of these questions will be answered in the next book. 

This book has been compared to Fifty Shades and I have to say that I don't agree.  Sure there are some elements of S&M, but in a completely different way.  The men in this book are both very domineering and rich men. I enjoyed this book more and I hate that so many books get compared to that series even though I did enjoy that series.  This series will stand on it's own without that comparison.  It's well written and the theme is completely different.

I think that if you enjoy a good romantic suspense story with nice love scenes then you will like this book.  It's definitely an adult read though.  There is profanity, some S&M and some very well written steamy love scenes, so be aware!  I know that it's been optioned for a TV series by Starz and I know that I will have to subscribe to Starz when it starts because I definitely want to be watching that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

nRelate Posts Only