Hello everyone and welcome to 18 one of the Reading Road-Trip hosted by I like These Books and Icey Books. I am representing Kansas on part of today's leg of the trip. You can also visit Blood Sweat and Books to learn more about Oklahoma.
A few facts about Kansas
* The capital or Kansas is Topeka
* The state flower is the Sunflower
* The state bird is the Western Meadowlark
* Wichita is one of the nation's leading aircraft-manufacturing centers,
ranking first in production of private aircraft.
* Kansas has a population of nearly 3 million in an area of 81,815 sq. miles
* Some Famous Natives and Residents include:
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Carry A. Nation
For my giveaway I have chosen a book by Kansas Author, Barbara Stuber. Here is the synopsis from Goodreads
At fifteen, Iris is a hobo of sorts—no home, no family, no plan. Her mother died when she was six, and her father focuses on his new girlfriend and his shoe business and has no time for his daughter. Without consulting her, he hires Iris out as a companion to a country doctor’s elderly mother. Stuck in 1920s rural Missouri, Iris discovers that “hobo” might be short for “homeward bound” as she cultivates an eccentric cast of folks into family. But just as she starts to break out of her shell, tragedy strikes. Can Iris find the courage to carry on, and the cunning to outwit a menacing farmer? Beautifully realized characters and settings illuminate a story suffused with humor, warmth, and tear-jerking drama.I am a Missouri native, and even though I didn't get to host my home state, this book takes place in Missouri so that's one reason I did end up choosing this one.
This giveaway will run until July 31st so be sure to spread the word and enter to win. There are a couple rules before we get started.
- You must live in the US to enter
- You must be at least 13 to enter
- You will have 24 hours to contact me once it's confirmed that you are the winner and I have emailed you.
- Failure to contact me in 24 hours will result in my drawing another name as winner.